Earlier this year I was in the grocery store and noticed a very attractive gentleman eyeing me up and down. He was so cute (to me) that I too was doing a little eyeing myself. I’ve always said that I would meet someone in the frozen food section of the grocery store. We were literally in a “cold” section – the cheese isle in fact. We both made it known that we were interested. However, he was waiting for me to approach him and I was waiting for him to approach me. Being the introverted woman that I am, I wasn’t going over to him. It had become apparent that he wasn’t coming over to me either. He just stood there staring at me and waiting. Maybe he wasn’t used to having to approach women – who knows? Once I realized he wasn’t going to walk over, I continued shopping. I looked back and he was gone. I sometimes wonder had I walked over, what might have happened. It was only a small window of time in which to make an impression and/or a connection.
Let’s say you are invited to a mixer and you have decided to attend the event alone. You see an attractive guy you would like to meet and perhaps get to know better. What do you do? When there’s a small window of time, here’s how to let a guy know you are interested:
- Be mindful that you are not the only attractive person in the room who may have spotted him. There will be other women for him to choose from and a few of them won’t be afraid to flirt back. That said, don’t let him get away.
- The look: If he glances in your direction, give him ‘the look’. You know the coy stare where you look up at him, and then down at your glass. It gives the impression that you are interested. Trust me, if done correctly he will know. Just try not to look too sultry and have him assume that you only want a one night stand.
- Flash those pearly whites. Show off all of the money you’ve spent on those whitening strips (haha). Just kidding. Don’t smile too hard or you’ll look crazy. If the two of you lock eyes, give a little smile.
- Speak to him: If you see someone in passing, smile and say hello. Maybe he will stop you and start a conversation.
For the fearless
- Walk up to him and introduce yourself. There’s a way to do it without being too forward. You can say something like, I’m sorry , I thought you were someone who works at my organization. Then introduce yourself. (Corny I know, but it should be effective).
- Offer a compliment: If you like his suit, find a way to tell him. Hopefully, it will lead to some promising dialogue.
(There are a lot of you who can do this in your sleep. This post however, is for those of us are not good at this . If any of you have any insight, please share.).
Thanks for reading. Have a great weekend.