Like all of you, I have had an extremely busy week. There have been many sleepless nights. Last night, in particular, I was up in the wee hours of the morning working and watching a show on one of my favorite cable networks. In the first thirty minutes, I already had my topic for this week. The show is based upon couples discussing events that took place in their relationship. This one couple’s rapport was extremely disturbing. The young woman would rifle through her significant other’s phone, follow him, and beat him with anything she could find. Her reasoning for her actions is that -essentially, she thought that he was a liar and didn’t trust him. With that, she taught me a valuable lesson that I would like to pass on – keep your classy.
This phrase came to me because some of us (men and women alike) are fools for love, and our actions prove that to be true. Oftentimes, several of us do not allow our common sense to win. Simply put, a few people can become emotional and erratic and do the silliest things in the name of love. If you do any of the following, maybe you should reconsider staying in the relationship.
· If you are going through someone else’s possessions: If you are not married to an individual, no one has the right to go through their belongings. We have all heard the saying, “If you go looking for something, you will most definitely find it”. Simply ask the person whatever it is you would like to know. No, he or she may not give you the answer you want, but the truth will eventually be revealed in time.
· If you are following him/her: If a person grabs their keys, get in their car, and trail this person to ensure that he/she is going where they said they would be – it could be time to throw in the towel. We often want the truth so badly that we resort to becoming a self – made detective to find the answers we seek. Hiding behind bushes and getting caught just isn’t worth it.
· If you are becoming physical: If someone is picking up objects and raising their hands to hurt the person they claim to love, one should rethink being with this person. If the cops have been called out to either of your homes for domestic violations, it is a permanent stain on that person’s record and reputation.
· If you are spending more time keeping up with your significant other than having a life of your own: Constantly calling, stalking them on social media, and phone tracking (gps), is borderline obsessive.
· If you are showing up at his/her place of employment: Showing up at the person’s job with unnecessary drama can cause him/her to be fired. If you think that he/she will stay after that happens, think again.
· If you fight someone over your partner: If a person catches their lover cheating with someone else, and fights the person he/she is with, is not such a great idea. Resorting to violence can lead to lawsuits and arrests – not to mention that you will have a blemish on your record that could perhaps follow you for the rest of your life.
· If you cause a scene when he/she is friendly with people of the opposite sex: Jealousy can cause a lot of problems in a relationship. Yelling and having people stare is embarrassing. Not to mention, it is not the public’s business why one is mad at their partner.
A relationship is supposed to be based upon trust. If it is believed that the one who you are with may be violating said trust, then it is not worth losing your dignity over. I know. It is easier said than done. However, what is done in the dark will always come to light. Your significant other will show you who they are eventually. And if the light isn’t shining as fast as you would like, think long and hard about what you would like to do – stay or go. Why stay with someone you do not trust? If you are acting as if you are auditioning for a role on CSI, it might be time to move on. Why do something you will regret in the long run? There are always consequences for our actions. Remain calm and keep it classy.
Thank you for reading my post. I will see you next Sunday. Have a great week and I wish you true love and happiness.